Dacryoadenitis is the medical term indicating the inflammatory enlargement of the lacrimal gland. This lacrimal gland is responsible for the formation of the tears in the eyes. This disease is basically divided into two parts- acute and chronic. This disease can occur in all patients of all age group and sex.
Create this article
Dacryoadenitis may be caused by the infection from several viruses, bacteria and fungi. They are as under- Epstein-barr virus, coxsackievirus A, echoviruses, herpes zoster virus, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Treponema palladium, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Histoplasmosis, protozoa, etc. dacryoadenitis may also be caused due to certain underlying diseases, such as benign lymphoepithelial lesion, Graves diseases, Orbital inflammatory syndrome, and Sarcoidosis.
Create this article
The patient suffering from acute and chronic dacryoadenitis has the following symptoms:-
- The palpebral lobe of the infected lacrimal gland becomes prolapsed and enlarged.
- There may be conjunctival swelling of the glands.
- The patient may suffer from mucopurulent discharge.
- There may also be conjunctival injection.
- The patient may also complain of erythema of the eyes.
- The patient may also suffer from proptosis and ocular motility restriction.
- The globe of the eye may get displaced medially and inferiorly.
- Acanthamoeba keratitis is also seen to be associated though rarely.
- The patient may also suffer from fever and upper respiratory infection.
- There may also be malaise and parotid gland enlargement.
- The infected eye may get dried from mild to severe.
- The signs of ocular are minimal.
- There may be no pain in the infected eye.
Try to prevent all those dacryoadenitis causing diseases which can be cured or prevented. Personal hygiene and antibiotics may be required to prevent this disease.
Our users add : Create this article
|Conservative treatment||Modern Medicine|
Eye drops and oral pills may be administered in the eye according to the underlying diseased condition. Warm compression and resting of the eye may be needed to treat the eye in case of viral infection.
Get expert advise on pricing, expertise and availability To book a free counselling session
please fill in your details-